George M. Hampton Middle School and George Mason University Partnership
George M. Hampton Middle School is a Title 1 school situated in Prince William County. Throughout the year, the LEAD Office coordinates various efforts for community engagement at Hampton Middle School including leadership development workshops, a teen night, and a large-scale leadership conference. The George M. Hampton Middle School Leadership Program recruits, trains, and encourages college students to serve as workshop facilitators and mentors to the students in order to inspire leadership development, social responsibility, and personal growth.
The LEAD Office along with several other student organizations (Mason DREAMers, Mason F1rst Gen, Leadership and Community Engagement LLC, and the L-TEAM) and university departments (Admissions, Diversity, Inclusion and Multicultural Education, and Social Action and Integrative Learning) partner together to bring leadership workshops to the students at Hampton Middle School throughout the academic year during their Health and Physical Education classes. We also host a full-day leadership conference completely run by Mason students that is held at Hampton Middle School for the kids to participate in. For more about the workshops and conference, see below.
Hampton Middle School Leadership Workshops
The Hampton Middle School leadership workshops are led by George Mason students during their Health and Physical Education classes. The purpose of these workshops is to meet the students where they are and engage them in activities that relate to their growth and development as leaders. Some of the competencies that these workshops tend to focus on are communication, teamwork, conflict resolution, strength building, and problem solving. Workshops are on various Fridays from 12pm-4pm throughout the semester. We rely on the continued commitment of our volunteers to sustain this initiative and are always looking for new volunteers! No previous experience required, we will ensure that you have the tools and training needed to facilitate the workshops. If you are interested in learning more about these workshops and serving as one of our volunteer facilitators, please contact Lisa Snyder at email@example.com.
- Fall 2019 Workshop Dates
- Friday, September 20th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, October 4th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, October 18th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, November 1st from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Spring 2020 Workshop Dates
- Friday, March 20th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, March 27th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, April 17th from 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Friday, May 1st from 12:00pm-4:00pm
Hampton Family Husky Night: The Mason Experience
- Friday, November 15th from 6:00pm-8:00pm at Hampton Middle School
- Let families and students know about George Mason University and the opportunities that we have to support students (ex: Early Identification Program, STEP, Mason F1rst Gen, Mason DREAMers, etc.)
- Letting them know about the resources and support systems early - what currently exists out there
- Trying to get the kids at Hampton to see that going to college is a possibility and that there are a lot of people out there who care about them
- Many (if not most) of the students at Hampton Middle School would be first generation college students
- We are currently looking for Mason Student Volunteers and Facilitators for this year’s Family Night. If you are interested in volunteering for the Family Night, please contact Lisa Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org
Incredible Leadership Conference at Mason
- Friday, December 6th from 9:00am-1:30pm at George Mason University
- Purpose: Mason students will engage with students at Hampton Middle School on Friday, December 6th from 9:00am-1:30pm, in a half day of building leadership skills that will benefit them now and in the future. The Incredible Leadership Conference will focus on leadership skill development through large group and small workshop formats. Students enhance the leadership skills they already have while gaining new skills that will benefit both now and in the future.
- We are currently looking for Mason Student Volunteers and Facilitators for this year’s conference. If you are interested in volunteering at the conference, please contact Lisa Snyder at email@example.com
Hampton Husky Teen Night
- Friday, March 27th from 5:30pm-7:30pm at Hampton Middle School
- We are currently looking for Mason Student Volunteers this year’s Teen Night. If you are interested in volunteering at the conference, please contact Lisa Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org