NOTE: The info on this page is from last year's leadership conference. Information regarding the 2020 Leadership Mason Conference will be available in early August.
The 2019 Leadership Mason Conference is a one-day program focusing on leadership skill development through large group and small workshop formats. Students enhance the leadership skills they already have while gaining new skills that will be beneficial both now and in the future. This year’s conference theme is Empowering Positive Change: Connect. Collaborate. Engage.
This year’s conference will allow for students to enhance and build upon their personal leadership skills and presence. Students will have an opportunity to engage with one another in a thought-provoking, interactive learning environment that will challenge students to think critically around various aspects of the social change model as it connects directly to ethical leadership, values development, diversity, identity development, inclusion and equity, and civic engagement. This conference is for all Mason students, whether you have a leadership position or not.
We are very pleased to announce a NEW component to this year's conference. This year, the Leadership Education and Development Office (LEAD) and the Office of Student Involvement will be collaborating to provide opportunities for students in leadership positions to also learn policies, resources, and procedures that exist at Mason. This can enhance their leadership experience and campus involvement. In addition to workshops focused on leadership, ethics, values, and identity development, we will also include practical, hands on, skill development workshops that will provide students and student organizations with a better understanding of the Registered Student Organization (RSO) process, student funding board, fiscal management, contract management, and collaborating and networking with others.
As a result of participating in the 2019 Leadership Mason Conference, participants will be able to:
- Engage with conference participants in discussions around leadership, ethics, diversity, identity development, inclusion and equity, and civic engagement
- Articulate at least one new university policy, resource, or procedure that exists at Mason that enhances your leadership experience and campus involvement
- Identify at least one new relationship that they established while participating in the conference
- Describe at least one way that can promote positive social change within an organization or in society in general
- Identify two or more components of the social change model and how it connects directly to leadership, ethics, diversity, identity development, inclusion and equity, and civic engagement
Save the date: September 27, 2019
Registration fee for Mason students: $10 (Includes: morning snacks, lunch, t-shirt, conference program, printed materials, and certificate). To pay the non-refundable conference registration fee, please bring $10 in cash or check to the LEAD Office (The Hub, Room 2400). Your t-shirt will not be ordered until payment is received.
The 2019 Leadership Mason Conference is scheduled for Friday, September 27th at George Mason University in The Hub, Ballroom. Check-in will open at 10:30am and the conference will begin promptly at 11:00am.
Important Notice: In order to receive a conference t-shirt and certificate of completion, you must participate fully in at least 3 or more of the following programmatic pieces:
- Opening Leadership Session
- Breakout Session #1
- Breakout Session #2
- Breakout Session #3
- Collaborating and Partnering for Positive Change
Location: The Hub, 3rd Floor Lobby
Location: The Hub, Ballroom
|11:00am-12:45pm||Shared Session: Leadership|
|1:30pm-2:20pm||Breakout Session #1
Workshop #1: Funding, Contracts and Spending, Oh My!
Workshop #2: Intro to Mason 360
Workshop #3: Leadership 101
Workshop #4: Self-Care: Strategies to Support Your Thriving
Workshop #5: Gender Identity Session
|2:20pm-3:10pm||Breakout Session #2
Workshop #1: Active Citizen and Tree of Power
Workshop #2: What Would You Do? Making Tough Ethical Choices
Workshop #3: Communication (Importance of, effectiveness of, etc.)
Workshop #4: The HOW of Good Leadership
Workshop #5: The “Un-Session” Open Mentoring Space
|3:20pm-4:10pm||Breakout Session #3
Workshop #1: Funding, Contracts and Spending, Oh My!
Workshop #2: Recruitment Efforts at Mason
Workshop #3: Who will you choose: An Exploration in Unconscious Bias!
Workshop #4: The How of Good Leadership
Workshop #5: Translating Your Leadership Experience to Your Career
|4:15pm-5:15pm||Shared Session: Collaborating and Partnering for Positive Change|
A huge thank you to our campus partners and incredible conference planning team. We are so grateful for your continued support and commitment to leadership education and development at George Mason University.
2019 Leadership Mason Conference Planning Team
- Lisa Snyder, LEAD Office
- Aya Leohardt, Student Involvement
- Ben Endres, Student Involvement
- Patty Mathison, Social Action and Integrative Learning
- Jayson Padilla, Social Action and Integrative Learning
- David Corwin, Women and Gender Studies
- Wesley Ward, Alumni Association and current Mason student
- Casey Smith, Contemporary Student Services
- Kaitlyn Schmitt, Student Involvement
- Nick Lennon, LEAD Office
- Phil Rippa, LEAD Office
- Sasha Toophanie, Housing and Residence Life
- Nina Berger, Housing and Residence Life
- Chalon Johnson, RSO LEAD Team